I’m not a huge lover of a smooth blended soup for a meal, i really like to feel like im having a meal, which i feel should be something to eat and not drink, so if its a soup its got to be a chunky one for me! You just cannot beat a big bowl of chunky soup on a cold, January day. I love playing around with ingredients in chunky soups, because most of the time you can pop in anything you like. You can change around the recipe based on what is in your press or fridge, and you can also imitate a chunky soup you might have gotten while eating out, which is exactly what i have done here with this Chunky Tomato, Chorizo & Chickpea soup! When i worked in city centre i regularly went for lunch in Trinity College Science Gallary and this is where i met and fell in love with this delicious soup. The chunky ingredients made it very easy to know what the bowl was filled it and i began to make it at home for myself.
For anyone that follows me on Snapchat you will have seen me make this over there tonight, but since that will be gone in 24 hours, here it is in black and white for you to follow 🙂
1 pack spicy chorizo sausage, cut into chunks
1 large onion, chopped (i dice mine large so my husband can take them out)
5 celery sticks, chopped into chunks
Half bag carrots, chopped into chunks
1 red pepper, chopped into chunks
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 birds eye chilli chopped finely (for a little kick)
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
1 tin chunky chopped tomatoes
1 cup of passata
750ml vegetable stock
1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Sea salt & ground black pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil
- Fry the chorizo in a large pot over a medium heat until it is darkened in colour and has oozed its lovely spicy oil. Remove from the pot and put to the side.
- Add the onion, red pepper, celery garlic, chopped chilli and carrots to the chorizo oil that has been left in the pan, reduce the heat and fry for about 4 minutes.
- Add the paprika, chilli powder and cumin and fry for another minute.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, cup of passata and stock, give it a good stir and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add the chorizo back in and the chickpeas and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10–15 minutes.
- Dish up into bowls a sprinkle some cracked black pepper on top and enjoy
This is so tasty, filling and super satisfying and its a great one to make early in the week to do you for lunches during the week. Once you keep it refridgerated it will do you for a few days.
If you try this out i would love to see some pics 🙂 Snapchat me
Feel free to get in touch with any questions.
Mail me: email@example.com
Tweet me: @needsblog